FVRx National Business Plan Request for Proposal
Due: February 28, 2013
Wholesome Wave is requesting proposals for a business plan to achieve national scale for the innovative Fruit & Vegetable Prescription Program. The successful plan will maximize and balance both social and financial returns to meet Wholesome Wave’s mission.
Wholesome Wave, a national 501(c)3 organization headquartered in Bridgeport, CT.
Fruit & Vegetable Prescription Program™ (FVRx™) Business Plan
Wholesome Wave’s FVRx is a community-based intervention that stimulates productive partnerships among healthcare providers, farmers and community members to encourage healthy eating among at-risk families. FVRx is designed to make a direct connection between increased consumption of fresh fruits and vegetables and improved health in underserved communities. FVRx showed early indicators of promising results as medical providers “prescribed” farmers market vouchers to overweight and obese children and pregnant women at-risk of diet-related diseases. Important components of the program were oversight by healthcare providers, participation in nutrition coaching and community interactions. In 2012, WW also began to explore the impact on community access to fresh food and the significance of partnerships between healthcare providers and farmers markets as part of a community strategy to promote healthy eating.
Overview of 2011 FVRx pilot outcomes: http://wholesomewave.org/wp-content/uploads/2012/07/Fruit-and-Vegetable-Prescription-Program-Overview.pdf
Description of Services
Lead strategic business planning and development activities to produce a 2 – 3 year plan. Work closely with WW staff and executive team; our expert FVRx advisory board; the FVRx Medical Director; and a Yale School of Public Health consulting group focused on policy research. Analyze 4 – 6 current and pilot intervention sites, using analysis and stakeholder feedback to refine deliverables. Consultant will need to investigate and consider customer, agency and patient needs throughout, and develop creative approaches for meeting those needs. Key competencies include healthcare system and healthcare policy expertise (experience with obesity interventions preferred); strategic planning; business development; market, financial and operational analysis; presentation development and delivery; interviews; problem solving; and facilitation of planning processes across multiple sectors.
Project Deliverables and Outcomes
- 2 – 3 year business plan. Perform initial analysis and overview, then collaborate with WW to develop target scenario.
- Market overview (including unmet needs and benefits required) and potential for impact on patient base
- Intervention/product design and sell-in description
- Competitive analysis
- Policy analysis
- Identify key potential partners and investors
- Pro forma financials, including sources and uses and income statement
- Marketing plan
- Operations and management plan
- Long-term development and risk assessment
- Policy targets
- Recommended legal structure for enterprise
- Present to key stakeholders, including the FVRx Advisory Board
- Leave WW staff and executive team with increased healthcare and healthcare policy knowledge, and strategic planning skills.
The successful vision and plan for sustainably scaling the innovative FVRx intervention will establish cost effective models to:
- Enhance access to fresh foods for vulnerable families at risk of obesity and related health conditions.
- Boost economic viability for fresh food retailers in underserved communities, focusing on local farmers.
- Create an earned revenue or income sustainability stream by targeting companies and institutions with resources to provide FVRx to people at-risk of diet-related diseases across all income levels.
- Target viable policy change opportunities and key stakeholders.
- Scale across a variety of healthcare settings and food retailers for greatest impact.
- Engage mission-driven “allies” across agriculture and healthcare sectors to increase reach.
3 – 6 months
Negotiable upon determination of scope and deliverables
- Experience and comfort with entrepreneurial approach
- Healthcare system and healthcare policy expertise, obesity focus/background preferred
- Strategic planning experience
- Ability to travel to Bridgeport, CT or nearby NYC for in-person meetings and working sessions.
- Experience in local food systems or passion for local food and agriculture strongly preferred.
Proposals should be a maximum of five pages, including attachments, and include:
- Description of expertise
- Proposed approach
- Budget narrative
Also incorporate any major questions for consideration that are not addressed in this RFP. Proposals are due on February 28th. Send to FVRx@wholesomewave.org, 855 Main St., Suite 910, Bridgeport, CT 06604.